Saturday, July 18, 2009

The first day's...night's riding... adventures.

(Disclaimer 2: The post just before this with our route is incorrect. We have considerably modified the route, but I will do my best to fill you in on our route.)

We left LA yesterday at about 5:30. The six riders that are with us right now (Me, Greg Daniels, Kelly O'Connell, Bishop Hollingsworth, Daniel Orr, and Michael Obel-Omia) rode to the front of the convention center where we were met with a small crowd with big cameras. Bishop Mark was interviewed on TV!!!! Then we continued to ride for the first 8 miles, after which all but the bishop were picked up by the RV or Prius.

My shift began at 12:00 midnight on the 18th. I drove the first hour while Mr. Daniels rode. The car drives a bit ahead, waits for the rider, shows them the turns, etc. The goal is to never be so far ahead that the rider feels alone. (The RV consistently drives ahead stops and waits.

Being in the support vehicle is boring but cool and refreshing. (It's hot here.) After the first hour I hopped on my bike waited for Mr. Daniels to arrive and took off. I made it about 4 miles. I saw the pothole, no crack, no ravine, but could do nothing about it. I hit it hard. I rose up on my front wheel for about 10 yards, but was able to maintain my balance and step off the bike. My wheels were ruined, "taco"ed as they say. I called Mr. Daniels and I was back in the prius. I caught up the the RV and the bishop began to get another bike down for me to ride. While he did this I unclasped one of my brakes, tried to spin the wheel, and it worked. I realized that the wheel was running true. I grabbed the brakes and squeezed. Beautiful.

When I hit the hole, I had slammed the brake units forward putting too much pressure on the cables. I can't describe how relieved I was. A quick fix and I was back on the road.

I got a new light, and I rode for an hour this time. I had a huge tail wind and was pedaling at a consistent 26 to 30 mph. Needless to say we were making great time.

This time it wasn't a ravine, just a bouncy road. My new light just worked it's way out of its clip and smashed on the road.

Mr. Daniels was back on the road. (our original plan was for hour or less shifts. So far, Mr. Daniels had a 2 1/2 hour shift (with a ten minute break) and he now was back on for 1/2 an hour.

I borrowed his light this time, because it was about as bright or brighter than a car headlight, and there was no risk of unintentional detachment. Without any more trouble I made it about 40 more miles.

All in all it was a fast paced night. I covered a total of 65 miles and he covered 60. 125 miles in 6 hours isn't half bad.

2 comments:

  1. SO glad you and bike survived the first night ride.
    Another blog for every one to read:

    biketrip4erd.blogspot.com

    Belongs to Greg Daniels; check out the pictures!
    Love from MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Carl. This sounds like a blast. I tried to send a blog earlier but... Write the word FOCUS on a piece of paper and clear tape it to your stem. Long rides and scenery are great but sometimes lead to drifting. Everytime you look down at your speedometer you'll get a reminder to stay focused. Keep it fun. Your pal in Colorado, Fred

    ReplyDelete